How Do I Donate to Opt or Become a Member?
As of October 25, 2013, a donation is no longer required to become a member. Simply complete application form below and send us a signed copy via email, fax, or snail mail. You must renew your membership annually to keep it in good standing.
It's that easy! Fill out the application form, make sure that you sign it, and send it to us. As soon as we receive the signed copy we will contact you to let you know that your membership is up and running!
What you receive as a member
- Advance notice of, and reduced fees for, Opt events and conferences
- Voting privileges at the Annual General Meeting (Opt employee members are exempt)
- The opportunity to support positive social change in how British Columbians regard reproductive choice, sexual diversity and informed sexual expression through quality education and information, affordable birth control and expert nonjudgmental care.
Even though a donation is no longer required to become a member, we ask that you consider making a contribution to Opt. Your donation will go towards all of the work that we do as educators and health care providers in British Columbia. All donations above $5.00 are eligible to receive a tax receipt!
What you receive as a donor
Our donors have told us many times to use their gifts to deliver programs and services, not to offer fancy giveaways and benefits. Therefore, what you receive as a member is not flashy, but it matters:
- A charitable donation receipt to help reduce your taxes
- That warm fuzzy feeling you get when supporting something you believe in
- Knowing that you are supporting positive social change in British Columbian. You are supporting access to reproductive choice, quality education and information, affordable birth control, and expert nonjudgmental care for all ages, all genders, and all orientations.
How you can donate
- Make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor.
- You can donate directly online through Canada Helps by clicking on the green button above (You can earmark which organization you want to donate to on the site and a percentage of each donation comes to Opt)
- You can donate directly to us by filling out this donation card and sending it in. (Please make cheques payable to Options for Sexual Health)
- You can donate through the United Way of the Lower Mainland's website
What we do with your donation
- Provide clinical services to approximately 30,000 clients each year in 60 clinics across BC
- Answer over 7000 calls and 1200 email inquiries each year on our 1-800 Sex-Sense information and referral line
- Train and certify sexual health educators - 30 to date - for BC communities
- Provide sexual health education for about 8000 students, and for parents, professionals, and youth and adults in care and custody
- Help train nurses for their certification in contraception and sexually transmitted infection management
- Offer a wide range of contraceptive options at affordable prices, and Gardasil (HPV vaccine) at cost
- Advocate for access to publicly funded contraception for all British Columbians
- Engage the public with creatively presented sexual health information and services at health fairs and other community settings
- Partner with sexual health researchers in BC and across Canada, integrating education and social action to improve health and reduce health inequalities. Click here to find out more about Opt research partnerships
- Engage in other special projects, such as measures to support the intimacy and relationship needs of individuals living in residential care facilities, enhancing cervical cancer screening procedures in BC, and improving access to abortion services across the province