How Do I Donate to Opt or Become a Member?
As of October 25, 2013 a donation is no longer required to become a member. Simply download the application form below (or click here for the PDF version) and send us a signed copy via email, fax, or Canada post. Memberships must be renewed annually to maintain good standing.
Fill out the application form (make sure that you sign it) and send it to us. It's that easy!
What you receive as a member
- Advance notice of, and reduced fees for, Opt events, education programs, and conferences
- Voting privileges at the Annual General Meeting (however, Opt employee members are ineligible to vote)
- The power to create positive social change as a member of an organization on the forefront of the global pro-choice and feminist movement supporting reproductive choice, sexual diversity and informed sexual expression
Even though a donation is no longer required to become a member, we ask that you still consider making a financial contribution to Opt. Your generous gift will make a HUGE difference to the sexual and reproductive health of all British Columbians, as the money will directly support sexual health care and education in the province. All donations above $5.00 are eligible to receive a charitable tax receipt.
What you receive as a donor
Our donors have told us many times to use their gifts to deliver programs and services, not to offer fancy giveaways and benefits. Therefore, what you receive as a member is not flashy, but it matters:
- A charitable donation receipt to help reduce your taxes
- That warm fuzzy feeling you get when supporting something you believe in
- Knowing that you are supporting positive social change in British Columbian. You are supporting access to reproductive choice, quality education and information, affordable birth control, and expert nonjudgmental care for all ages, all genders, and all orientations.
How you can donate
- Make a one-time donation (if your not ready to commit) or become a monthly donor (if your more the long-term relationship type)
- You can donate directly online through Canada Helps by clicking on the green button above
- You can donate directly to us by filling out the donation portion of the membership form (and this would also be a great time to become a member!)
- Please make cheques payable to Options for Sexual Health
- You can also donate through the United Way of the Lower Mainland's website
What we do with your donation
- Provide clinical services to approximately 30,000 clients each year in 60 clinics across BC
- Answer over 7000 calls and 1200 email inquiries each year on our 1-800 Sex-Sense information and referral line
- Did you know we are the only organization training and certifying sexual health educators in Canada? How cool is that?
- Provide sexual health education for over 8000 students, and for parents, professionals, and youth and adults in care and custody
- Help train nurses for certification in contraception and sexually transmitted infection management
- Offer a wide range of contraceptive options at affordable prices, and Gardasil (HPV vaccine) at cost
- Engage with the public through creative presentions of sexual health information and services at health fairs, music festivals, Pride events, and other community settings
- Partner with sexual health researchers in BC and across Canada, integrating education and social action to improve health and reduce health inequalities. Click here to find out more about Opt research partnerships
- Engage in other special projects such as measures to support the intimacy and relationship needs of individuals living in residential care facilities, enhancing cervical cancer screening procedures in BC, and improving access to abortion services across the province