Options for Sexual Health Care
With over 60 locations in the province of BC, we provide access to confidential, non-judgemental sexual health care rooted in reproductive choice. Our clinics are run by certified nurses, doctors, and trained volunteers and offer a wide range of sexual health services. Our clinics provide birth control counselling, low-cost contraceptives, sexually transmitted infection (STI) screening, cervical screening, pregnancy testing, pro-choice pregnancy options counselling, and general sexual health information and referrals. Services are LGBTQ2S+ friendly and for all ages in most locations.
Our organization is committed to excellent, inclusive and informed health care services. We measure accountability and outcomes using a continuous quality improvement process. All clinics follow standards set by Options for Sexual Health and supported by community partners, Provincial Health Services Authority, The Ministry of Health, The BC College of Nursing Professionals and the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons. We welcome feedback on your clinic experience.
Our clinical services
All services provided at Options are free (excluding the cost of birth control) for patients who are enrolled in the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Patients who do not have valid MSP may be charged up to $200 depending on the services needed. For more information, contact Sex Sense. Options cannot bill to private insurance companies but can provide you with a receipt.
We carry several birth control options on site including:
- Hormonal birth control (birth control pills, shot, and vaginal ring)
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs) – Copper IUDs and Hormonal IUDs
- Barrier methods – condoms (internal/external)
- Pregnancy testing
- Pro-choice pregnancy options counselling
- Referrals for adoption, abortion, or ongoing pregnancy care
- Testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Treatment and/or care for Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Most STI treatment medications are supplied for free (except for those used to treat urinary tract infections which may be purchased at the clinic for $13)
- Pap test/Cervical Screening
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination costs $525 for the required 3 doses ($175 per dose) and can be purchased at our clinic* at the time of the appointment (you may be eligible for the free provincial program, please check with your local public health unit)
- *Please note that not all of our clinics carry the HPV vaccination. Contact Sex Sense (1-800-739-7367 or SexSense@optbc.org) to find out which clinic close to you has this service available.
- Progestin Emergency Contraceptive Pill: $15
- Combined hormonal birth control pills
- Alesse/Alysena, Brevicon, Demulen (while supplies last), Freya (generic Marvelon), Linessa, Portia (while supplies last), Triquilar: $15 (one month)
- Min-Ovral $20 (one month)
- Yasmin, Yaz: $22 (one month)
- Progestin-only pills – Movisse (generic Micronor): $15 (one month)
- Vaginal ring – NuvaRing: $15 (one month)
- Birth control shot – depo-provera: $53 (one vial for 3 months)
- Barrier methods
- Internal and external condom: FREE
- Oral dam (each): $1.75
- Copper IUD*
- Flexi T 380: $90 (5 years)
- Liberté UT380 standard or short: $90 (5 years)
- SMB 380 TT: $90 (10 years)
- Progestin hormonal IUD*
- Jaydess (3 years): $310 (while supplies last)
- Mirena, Kyleena (5 years): $385
- HPV vaccine Gardasil 9: $175 (per dose, 3 doses required)*
- Macrobid: $13
* product available in select Options clinic locations only
If you are unable to pay for birth control, speak to your local Options Clinic and they will do their best to help you. Selected contraceptives can be obtained at reduced or no cost via the Contraceptive Access Fund for patients whose financial situation is a barrier to obtaining contraceptives. The fund is accessed on a case-by-case basis, by clinicians in Options Clinics, while funds last. To make contributions to the provincial fund, go here: Donate and enter ’for Contraception’ in the notes Dedication section.
I had a fantastic experience at an Options for Sexual Health clinic last night. Special shout out to the physician — I was so very inspired by her approach. I was very nervous about having an IUD insertion done, as the previous time it was incredibly uncomfortable. The physician was calm, approachable, and provided me with an amazingly client-centered experience. Thank you for making it such a positive experience!
- Options for Sexual Health Client