SHEC Application Process
Basic requirements for admission into the SHEC program include all of the following:
- a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Those seeking entrance based on equivalency must detail such experience in their application and could be requested to provide further community endorsement.
- Please note that Options for Sexual Health accepts 1-3 of these types of applicants per cohort.
- proficient in spoken and written English.
*Students must complete a Sexual Attitudes Reassessment (SAR) workshop recognized by Options for Sexual Health as a prerequisite for certification. Options is currently revamping our SAR program and not running it at this time. Other SAR options can be found online in North America. Students planning to apply for SHEC will need to complete a SAR as part of their certification.
All interested applicants should note that SHEC is a competitive course with limited enrollment and not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In some cases, further evidence to support an application might be requested.
- Applicants must complete the SHEC online application (link below), where the following documents will also be submitted:
- CV demonstrating a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Letter of intent, including your reasons for applying, and your education and learning goals
- Two professional letters of recommendation (including contact information) from past or current employers, supervisors or professors.
- Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector check
- Proof of completion (within the last five years) or registration of an upcoming SAR.
- Interviews may be performed as part of the application process.
*Application letters should be addressed to the SHEC Advisory Committee at Options for Sexual Health.
Applications for SHEC
Spots in our SHEC 2022 programs have been filled. We will open the Applications for SHEC 2023 programs later this year.
If you have specific questions about SHEC or would like to be placed on our mailing list to receive updates of future programs, please fill out this form.
Please note — full attendance is mandatory for SHEC modules.
Below are the current course dates that run from April 2022 – February 2023.
SHEC 2022 Spring: ONLINE
- Module One: April 1-3, 2022
- Module Two: April 29-May 1, 2022
- Module Three: May 27-29, 2022
- Module Four: June 24-26, 2022
- Module Five: July 22-24, 2022
SHEC 2022 Fall: ONLINE
- Module One: Sept 23-25, 2022
- Module Two: Oct 28-30, 2022
- Module Three: Nov 25-27, 2022
- Module Four: Jan 6-8, 2023
- Module Five: Feb 3-5, 2023
SHEC 2023 Module dates TBD.