SHEC Application Process
Basic requirements for admission into the SHEC program include all of the following:
- A related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Those seeking entrance based on equivalency must detail such experience in their application and could be requested to provide further community endorsement.
- Please note that Options for Sexual Health accepts 1-3 of these types of applicants per cohort.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
*Students must complete a Sexual Attitudes Reassessment (SAR) workshop recognized by Options for Sexual Health as a part of SHEC certification. Options is currently revamping our SAR program and not running it at this time. Other SAR options can be found online in North America. Students planning to apply for SHEC will need to include the SAR workshop they plan to attend on their application form.
All interested applicants should note that SHEC is a competitive course with limited enrollment and not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In some cases, further evidence to support an application might be requested.
- Applicants must complete the SHEC online application (link below), where the following documents will also be submitted:
- CV demonstrating a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Letter of intent, including your reasons for applying, and your education and learning goals
- Two professional letters of recommendation (including contact information) from past or current employers, supervisors or professors.
- Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector check
- Proof of completion (within the last five years) or registration of an upcoming SAR (within the SHEC year you are applying for).
- Interviews may be performed as part of the application process.
*Application letters should be addressed to the SHEC Advisory Committee at Options for Sexual Health.
Applications for SHEC
Applications for SHEC 2023 programs are now closed!
Thank you to all those who’ve applied! Accepted applicant’s will be contacted via email by the end of April.
Please note — full attendance is mandatory for SHEC modules.
Below are the 2023 course dates:
SHEC 2023 Spring: ONLINE
- Module One: Mar 3-5, 2023
- Module Two: Mar 31-Apr 2, 2023
- Module Three: Apr 28-30, 2023
- Module Four: May 26-28, 2023
- Module Five: June 23-25, 2023
SHEC 2023 Summer: In-Person
- Module One: June 9-11, 2023
- Module Two: July 21-23, 2023
- Module Three: Sept 8-10, 2023
- Module Four: Oct 13-15, 2023
- Module Five: Nov 17-19, 2023
SHEC 2023 Winter: ONLINE
- Module One: Dec 8-10, 2023
- Module Two: Jan 12-14, 2024
- Module Three: Feb 9-11, 2024
- Module Four: Mar 8-10, 2024
- Module Five:Apr 5-7, 2024
If you have specific questions about SHEC or would like to be placed on our mailing list to receive updates of future programs, please fill out this form.