SHEC Application Process
Basic requirements for admission into the SHEC program include all of the following:
- a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Those seeking entrance based on equivalency must detail such experience in their application and could be requested to provide further community endorsement.
- Please note that Options for Sexual Health accepts 1-3 of these types of applicants per cohort.
- proficient in spoken and written English.
*Students must complete a Sexual Attitudes Reassessment (SAR) workshop recognized by Options for Sexual Health as a prerequisite for certification. Options is currently revamping our SAR program and not running it at this time. Other SAR options can be found online in North America. Students planning to apply for SHEC will need to complete a SAR as part of their certification.
All interested applicants should note that SHEC is a competitive course with limited enrollment and not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In some cases, further evidence to support an application might be requested.
- Applicants must complete the SHEC online application (link below), where the following documents will also be submitted:
- CV demonstrating a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Letter of intent, including your reasons for applying, and your education and learning goals
- Two professional letters of recommendation (including contact information) from past or current employers or supervisors.
- Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector check
- Proof of completion (within the last five years) or registration of an upcoming SAR.
- Interviews may be performed as part of the application process.
*Application letters should be addressed to the SHEC Advisory Committee at Options for Sexual Health.
Applications for SHEC 2021 programs
Application for SHEC 2021 Fall are NOW OPEN until 12am PDT August 31, 2021!
If you have specific questions about SHEC or would like to be placed on our mailing list to receive updates of future programs, please fill out this form.
Below are the course module dates, please note — full attendance is mandatory
SHEC 2021 Spring: ONLINE (course in-progress)
- Module One: April 16-18, 2021
- Module Two: May 14-16, 2021
- Module Three: June 11-13, 2021
- Module Four: July 9-11, 2021
- Module Five: August 6-8, 2021
SHEC 2021 Fall: ONLINE (*apply below*)
- Module One: October 1-3, 2021
- Module Two: November 5-7, 2021
- Module Three: December 3-5, 2021
- Module Four: January 14-16, 2022
- Module Five: February 11-13, 2022