What is an Aspiration Abortion?
- An inpatient procedure where a healthcare provider removes pregnancy tissue from the uterus.
- The procedure typically takes less than 10 minutes, and involves gentle suction.
- Although sometimes referred to as surgery, this is a very simple and safe procedure that does not involve any cuts, sharp instruments, stitches or scarring.
- It is most often done under conscious sedation.
- Done between 5 and 20+ weeks from the first day of the last menstrual period (LMP).
Our information on Aspiration (Surgical) Abortion is in revision.
While we are in the process of revision, please visit Every Woman’s Health Centre’s website for information on aspiration abortion.