Basic requirements for admission into the SHEC program include all of the following:
- a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or an equivalent combination of education or relevant experience. Those seeking entrance based on equivalency must detail such experience in their application and could be requested to provide further community endorsement. Please note that Opt accepts 1-3 of these types of applicants per cohort.
- strong skills in speaking, writing, and understanding the English language.
- completion of a SAR recognized by Opt (such as Opt’s SAR workshop)
All interested applicants should note that this is a very competitive course with limited enrolment and not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In some cases, further evidence to support an application might be requested.
1. Applicants must complete the SHEC online application (link below), where the following documents will also be submitted:
- CV demonstrating a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Letter of intent, including your reasons for applying, education and learning goals
- Two professional letters of recommendation (including contact information) from past or current employers or supervisors.
- Criminal Records Check
- Proof of completion or registration of a SAR (such as Opt's SAR workshop) within the last five years.
2. Interviews may be performed as part of the application process.
*Application letters should be addressed to the SHEC Advisory Committee at Options for Sexual Health or Opt. (Please note: we are not OPT (with capitals), Options, Options BC or Opts).
Applications for SHEC 2018 Spring and Fall programs will be opening soon! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on our mailing list to receive updates.
Full attendance is mandatory
SHEC 2017 Spring: Vancouver, BC (in progress)
Module One: May 26-28, 2017
Module Two: June 23-25, 2017
Module Three: July 21-23, 2017
Module Four: August 18-20, 2017
Module Five: September 8-10, 2017
SHEC 2017 Fall: Vancouver, BC
Module One: October 27-29, 2017
Module Two: November 24-26, 2017
Module Three: January 12-14, 2018
Module Four: February 23-25, 2018
Module Five: March 16-18, 2018
SHEC 2018 Spring: Vancouver, BC
May - September 2018
SHEC 2018 Fall: Vancouver, BC
October 2018 - March 2019 (excluding December)
Next opportunity for SAR (SHEC pre-requisite):
VANCOUVER: September 28-October 1, 2017
VANCOUVER: April 2018 (dates TBD)