Basic requirements for admission into the SHEC program include all of the following:
- a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Those seeking entrance based on equivalency must detail such experience in their application and could be requested to provide further community endorsement. Please note that Opt accepts 1-3 of these types of applicants per cohort.
- proficient in spoken and written English.
- completion of a SAR recognized by Opt (such as Opt’s SAR workshop)
All interested applicants should note that SHEC is a competitive course with limited enrolment and not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In some cases, further evidence to support an application might be requested.
1. Applicants must complete the SHEC online application (link below), where the following documents will also be submitted:
- CV demonstrating a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Letter of intent, including your reasons for applying, and your education and learning goals
- Two professional letters of recommendation (including contact information) from past or current employers or supervisors.
- Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector check
- Proof of completion or registration of a SAR (such as Opt's SAR workshop) within the last five years.
2. Interviews may be performed as part of the application process.
*Application letters should be addressed to the SHEC Advisory Committee at Options for Sexual Health or Opt.
Applications for our 2018 programs are now closed. Please fill out this form if you are interested in future SHEC programs.
Full attendance is mandatory
SHEC 2018 Spring: Vancouver, BC
Module One: May 4-6, 2018
Module Two: June 1-3, 2018
Module Three: July 6-8, 2018
Module Four: August 10-12, 2018
Module Five: September 14-16, 2018
SHEC 2018 Fall: Vancouver, BC
Module One: November 2-4, 2018
Module Two: November 30-December 2, 2018
Module Three: January 18-20, 2019
Module Four: February 22-24, 2019
Module Five: March 22-24, 2019
Next opportunity for SAR (SHEC pre-requisite):
VANCOUVER: October 11-14, 2018 (WORKSHOP FULL, please contact Saira at email@example.com for cancellation inquiries)
VANCOUVER: April 2019 (dates TBD)