Basic requirements for admission into the SHEC program include all of the following:
- a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or an equivalent combination of education or relevant experience. Those seeking entrance based on equivalency must detail such experience in their application and could be requested to provide further community endorsement. Please note that Opt accepts 1-3 of these types of applicants per cohort.
- strong skills in speaking, writing, and understanding the English language.
- completion of a SAR recognized by Opt (such as Opt’s SAR workshop)
All interested applicants should note that this is a very competitive course with limited enrolment and not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In some cases, further evidence to support an application might be requested.
1. Applicants must complete the SHEC online application (link below), where the following documents will also be submitted:
- CV demonstrating a related undergraduate degree (with a preference for health sciences or education degrees) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Letter of intent, including your reasons for applying, education and learning goals
- Two professional letters of recommendation (including contact information) from past or current employers or supervisors.
- Criminal Records Check
- Proof of completion or registration of a SAR (such as Opt's SAR workshop) within the last five years.
2. Interviews may be performed as part of the application process.
*Application letters should be addressed to the SHEC Advisory Committee at Options for Sexual Health or Opt. (Please note: we are not OPT (with capitals), Options, Options BC or Opts).
Early bird deadline December 31, 2017 and regular Application Deadline February 1, 2018
Full attendance is mandatory
SHEC 2018 Spring: Vancouver, BC
Module One: May 4-6, 2018
Module Two: June 1-3, 2018
Module Three: July 6-8, 2018
Module Four: August 10-12, 2018
Module Five: September 14-16, 2018
SHEC 2018 Fall: Vancouver, BC
Module One: November 2-4, 2018
Module Two: November 30-December 2, 2018
Module Three: January 18-20, 2019
Module Four: February 22-24, 2019
Module Five: March 22-24, 2019
Next opportunity for SAR (SHEC pre-requisite):
VANCOUVER: April 5-8, 2018
VANCOUVER: September 2018 (dates TBD)