In BC you can get an abortion in a abortion clinc or in some hospitals.
Abortion Clinics in BC
There are seven abortion clinics in BC: four in the Lower Mainland, and one each in Victoria, Kelowna, and the Kootenays. Each of them offer pre- and post-abortion counselling and can help you make the best decision for you. You don't need a doctor's referral-just call to make an appointment. You may be required to have an ultrasound, which the clinic can either do for you, or arrange for you. Waiting time for a clinic abortion may vary between one and three weeks.
The decision of whether the abortion can be performed in a clinic depends on your medical history, a physical exam, lab tests, and the stage of the pregnancy. Most clinics will perform abortions up to 14 weeks. If the abortion cannot be performed in a clinic, it may be possible in a hospital (with a referral from a doctor).
Everywoman's Health Centre: 604-322-6692
- Surgical abortions up to 13 weeks 6 days
Elizabeth Bagshaw Women's Clinic: 1-877-736-7171
- Surgical abortions up to 16 weeks 6 days
C.A.R.E. Program, BC Women's Hospital: 604-875-2022 or toll free at 1-888-300-3088 local 2022
- Surgical abortions and counselling appointments
- Surgical termination procedures up to 24 weeks
- For more information call the Pregnancy Options Line (604-875-3163 or 1-888-875-3163 outside the Lower Mainland)
Willow Women's Clinic: (info line) 604-874-9897; (appt line) 604-709-5611
Medical abortions up to 7 weeks, using methotrexate injection and misoprostol.
Vancouver Island Abortion Services: 250-480-7338
- Medical abortions up to 7 weeks (in office)
- Surgical abortions up to 20 weeks, using general anaesthesia at Victoria General Hospital or using local anesthetic at the clinic)
Women's Services Clinic, Kelowna General Hospital: 250-980-1399
- Surgical abortions up to 12 weeks (an ultrasound must be brought to the appointment)
Kootenay Boundary Regional Women's Services Clinic: 250-362-7729
- Surgical abortions up to 12 weeks using local anesthetic and conscious sedation in office
Note: Clinics can perform surgical abortions as early as 5-6 weeks gestation.
Hospitals in BC that Perform Abortions
If you can't go to one of the clinics listed above, or if you prefer to be under general anaesthesia (to be asleep), you must obtain a referral to a doctor who performs abortions in a local hospital.
If your own doctor won't refer you, or if you don't want to go to your family doctor, call the Pregnancy Options Line at 1-888-875-3163 (604-875-3163 in the Lower Mainland) to obtain a referral and/or more information. Often, doctors can perform tubal ligation at the same time, with prior referral.
There are many hospitals in BC that are specially designated (required) by the provincial government to perform abortions, although other hospitals often perform them, too. To find a hospital in your area that performs abortions, please call the Pregnancy Options Line.
Opt makes every effort to keep this resource up-to-date. However the information is liable to change and you are advised to call the SEX SENSE Line at 1-800-Sex-Sense (739-7367) or the Pregnancy Options Line at 1-888-875-3163 to get the most recent information.
Revised February 2014